Re: Taylor & Francis printing snafu Kim Maxwell 13 Jul 2006 13:40 UTC

I think Barbara is speaking from a practical collection management
perspective and Bill from a more "content" collection management
perspective.  I interpreted Barbara's question to be about how to predict
what is supposed to come next physically in the mail and when.  Bill seems
to be interpreting it as being about what kind of content comes with each
title in a year (in terms of page numbers).  I think T&F made this switch to
lower their distribution costs; they *are* focusing more on the content,
making the online available way before the print, and offering print as an
"archival" option if you will.

T&F is doing something that makes sense to them from a business standpoint.
Barbara is frustrated because she now can't predict something that formerly
was predictable.  I don't have an easy solution, but I think the key is to
work with T&F staff to show them how and why making the print predictable is
a good thing both for libraries and for T&F itself.

Kim

Kim Maxwell
Serials Acquisitions Librarian
Associate Head, Acquisitions & Licensing Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT Libraries, Room 14E-210
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139-4307