Re: Taylor & Francis, Haworth, and pages per volume Skwor, Jeanette 13 Jul 2006 18:39 UTC

I debated about me too-ing Kim's letter and decided not to, now I am
going to echo Barb's comments.   Librarians are dealing with patrons and
expectations.

Frankly, we (at least those of us who don't have to deal with the
budget) don't care how often you publish, or how much.  We just want you
to know what to expect.  If you tell me you are going to publish 12
issues per year, one each month, then please do so.  If you want to
combine Jan - Dec and call it volume 17, nos. 1-12, tell me that also.

Jeanette L. Skwor
Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
(920) 465-2670

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will
get you through times of no libraries."
                              Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Barb Dietsch
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:57 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Taylor & Francis, Haworth, and pages per volume

Actually Bill, I don't think it is the end of the matter.  You've been
discussing philosophies and opinions from a publisher's point of view.

I requested practical comments on how library workers were handling the
print/online enumeration discrepancies in their day-to-day work.  We
have to come up with a solution on how to deal with this problem, and it
is a problem for serials technical staff.

I don't think this situation is about "policy" per say, but  how do
librarians and library patrons deal with decisions made by publishers
which often are not logical or straightforward for the user.

But..........another spin on philosophies..........basically, you are
selling a product, and if the customer is unhappy with changes or
inconsistencies with the product, it is of benefit to both the producer
and consumer to give feedback on how it affects them and why.  Both
Haworth and Taylor & Francis are for-profit publishers.  You are selling
a product to make money.  Librarians and library users are one segment
of your customer base.

Serialists send your suggestions and comments on practical solutions to
this unavoidable and irritating irregularity.

Thanks!

barb

barb dietsch | serials coordinator
epa library | unc contract staff
109 tw alexander drive | mail code c267-01 research triangle park, nc
27711
phone: 919.541.0726
fax: 919.541.1405
dietsch.barbara@epa.gov

             William Cohen
             <bcohen7719@AOL.
             Sent by:                 SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
             "SERIALST:                                              cc
             Serials in
             Libraries                                          Subject
             Discussion               Re: [SERIALST] Taylor & Francis,
             Forum"                   Haworth, and pages per volume
             <SERIALST@LIST.U
             VM.EDU>

             07/13/2006 11:44
             AM

              Please respond
                "SERIALST:
                Serials in
                Libraries
                Discussion
                  Forum"
             <SERIALST@LIST.U
                 VM.EDU>

Steve:

I respectfully disagree, and totally.   Your own history in this
area is completely documented, and I think librarians can decide on
their own what policy they choose.

Let us consider this an end to the matter.

Thank you for your constructive help.

Bill Cohen, Publisher
The Haworth Press, Inc.
www.HaworthPress.com