Re: eSerials holdings in Worldcat Robischon, R. MS LIB 17 Jul 2006 18:39 UTC

Buddy,
	I just received an email from Serials Solutions for this exact
service.  You might want to contact them to set this up.
Rose Robischon

------------------------------
Rose Robischon
Serials Librarian/Webmaster
United States Military Academy Library
757 Thayer Road
West Point, NY 10996-1711
E-mail:  Rose.Robischon@usma.edu
Voice:  845-938-2843
Fax:  845-938-3456

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Pennington, Buddy D.
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 11:13 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] eSerials holdings in Worldcat

Does anyone know if there are plans to develop Local Holdings Records
from the coverage data stored in Serials Solutions?

The benefits of having the holdings activated for e-journals is limited
when the summary holdings aren't available to inform users and ILL staff
that a needed volume is available at a specific library.

When I was in ILL, we would not request from libraries that did not list
local holdings unless we had no other choice.  Too many times we were
getting responses back indicating that the needed volume was not owned.

I think this is an excellent first step, and any information is better
than nothing at all.  I'm just hoping that one day we might be able to
just as easily have local holdings for e-journals added in as well.

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
University of Missouri - Kansas City
University Libraries