Re: What would YOU say to this disgruntled patron? Ian Woodward 28 Aug 2006 13:09 UTC

I think I would say, "You are right, but correcting the problem will
take a load of man-hours that we would have to snatch from other
(perhaps more consequential) activities."

Subject classifications for periodical runs can grow stale.  Also, I can
say that as a customer in libraries public and academic (before and
after automation), I cannot see how collocation of periodicals is all
that helpful to patrons unless bound periodicals are interfiled with
books and the trip to retrieve an article found in a reference book or
database leads the customer to a run of monographs nearby.  Neither the
shelf arrangement nor the cover-and-spine text of classified periodicals
are information-rich in the manner of those of books and shelf upon
shelf of periodical volumes bound in burnt sienna and bilious green are
not inviting for browsing (or at least not inviting for me).

The University of Rochester at one time classified their bound
periodical volumes and interfiled them with books in the general stacks,
while their current periodicals were arranged alphabetically in a
dedicated study room.  Given the peculiar geography of the book stacks
at the Rush Rhees Library, this was (I would wager) the optimal
solution.  My own institution had a floor of its main library dedicated
to periodicals stacks and current periodicals display, so alphabetical
arrangements were used.  Our branch library (largely on one floor) has
had an ongoing experiment with a segregated and classified print
periodical collection.  I was not present when the shift from
alphabetical to classified arrangement took place, so I cannot tell you
if there was complaint from patrons.

One problem in assessing customer complaints is that 98% of your patrons
just eat the bangers-and-mash you serve them, whether they enjoy it or
not.  It is hard to tell if the other two percent reflect the opinions
of the remainder or are just among the world's histrionic folk.  Another
problem is that the interests of faculty and students may diverge.  The
interests of students should be paramount.  I would not hazard a guess
as to how often that is actually the case.

We have now put the bulk of our bound periodical collection in an
automated on-site warehouse, to which facility our patrons make requests
via our WebOPAC.  It might be of use to our customers to re-insert call
numbers in these MARC records to allow for 'virtual browsing' with the
OPAC.  Of course, it would take forever.  Our current periodicals
display is still in alphabetical order, so it might sow confusion as
well.   IW

I.  Woodward
Serials Office
Colgate University Libraries