Shelving challenges (7 messages) SERIALST Moderator 29 Aug 2006 21:06 UTC

7 messages:

(1)-------------------
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:43:56 -0700
From: "Rais, Shirley (LLU)" <srais@llu.edu>
Subject: RE: [SERIALST] Shelving challenges

When the cover title is not the "real" or shelving title, we put a
"bandaid" label with the correct title on the cover.

So if the European Journal of Biochemistry only has EJB on the cover, we
would have a note on the checkin record, there is a note that says:
Bandaid Title:  European Journal of Biochemistry.

We use one of those P-Touch label makers to produce the "bandaid".  It's
not as much work as it sounds.  When we make the first label, we print
out extras and keep them in envelopes filed by title.  It doesn't take
much time to slap a label on the journal cover at checkin.

If the actual title is on the cover but not very prominent, we
bracket/underline the first word of the shelving title.

Hope this makes sense!

Shirley Rais, MLS
Chair, Serials Department
Loma Linda University Libraries
11072 Anderson St.
Loma Linda, CA 92350

Ph: 909-558-4583
Fx: 909-558-4919
srais@llu.edu
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 13:48:24 -0500
From: "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@uwgb.edu>

We type 1 x 3 labels & place neatly in the upper left corner of the
periodical.

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI  54311-7003

(920) 465-2670

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will
get you through times of no libraries."
                              Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog

(3)-------------------
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 12:00:19 -0700
From: Patty Gallilee <plg@sfu.ca>

We have been dealing with this for years and we do several things:

1) if the 'shelved as' title differs from the 245 we have a public
note in the bib record "SHELVED UNDER: [title]"
2) we repeat the above note in the check-in record
3) when an issue is checked-in we "hook" the shelved as title on the
cover (hooking consists of using a pen to mark a right angle under
the first letters of the shelving title). If the shelved as title is
not on the cover, we write it on and then hook.

Results of this:
- student shelvers know where to shelve the issues by looking at the 'hooking'
- patrons know to look under the TITLE in the OPAC unless there is a
note giving a different SHELVED UNDER title.

Patty

Patty Gallilee
Head, Acquisitions/Serials Division
W.A.C. Bennett Library
Simon Fraser University                       Email: plg@sfu.ca
8888 University Drive                           Voice: 604/291-3916
Burnaby, BC  CANADA		 FAX: 604/268-6579
V5A 1S6

(4)-------------------
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:02:02 -0500
From: Gayle Van Auken <vanaukeg@lindahall.org>

Sherry,

We apply labels with the correct "shelving title" in the upper left
hand corner of the front cover.

Gayle

Gayle J. Van Auken
Head of Serials Services
Linda Hall Library of Science, Engineering & Technology
5109 Cherry St.
Kansas City, Missouri 64110-2498
vanaukeg@lindahall.org
http://www.lindahall.org
Voice:(816)926-8708
Fax: (816)926-8790

(5)--------------------
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 14:15:28 -0500
From: Sarah Sanford <ssanford@gustavus.edu>

We write tiny hash marks on the first letter of the word in the title by
which the journal is shelved. If you don't mind these small marks on the
cover, this procedure works great. It has worked very well for titles
with acronyms. Consider the titles: JONA'S Healthcare, Law, Ethics and
Regulation and JONA: The Journal of Nursing Administration. We shelve
the former title under the first "J" in JONA'S and the latter under the
"J" in Journal of Nursing Administration.

Sarah
--
Sarah Sanford
Serials Manager

(6)------------------
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 15:16:28 -0400
From: "Sottile, P.J." <psottile@steptoe.com>

Hi Sherry,
We would use a book dummy shelved at "Cost Management" that says "Cost
Management shelved under Journal of Cost Management"  Helps both
shelvers and patrons find those annoying title changes.

PJ
PJ Sottile
Steptoe & Johnson Library
Washington, DC

Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:34:07 -0700
From: Mina Muessigmann <minamues@mail.sdsu.edu>

A perfect argument for shelving by call number...