Re: Trim cost for binders Eyler, Carol 25 Sep 2006 22:43 UTC

Hi Liz,

Yes, a charge for "no trim" (hand-trimming of the endpapers) of bound
volumes is common, for the reasons that Diane described.  "No trim" also
affects measurements for the case.  So, "no trim" is definitely more work
for the binder.

However, if you are requesting "no trim" for all periodical volumes that
you send to the binder, you might be able to negotiate a lower charge per
volume than what the binder charges for an occasional "no trim."   It may
also depend on how many volumes you send per month or other interval, and
the relationship you have with your binder.  If you have an actual contract
or bid process, this can also be a point for price comparison and
negotiation.

You might also want to ask how the endpapers will be hand-trimmed.  Will it
be with scissors -- which can sometimes yield a less-than-clean cut?  Or
does your binder use a foot-operated cutter that will trim the whole length
of an endpaper with one cut -- which usually results in a nice clean cut.
Either way, the binder will be hand-trimming from four to six endpaper
edges on each volume.

Hope this makes sense.

~Carol Eyler
Carol E. Eyler                                 ceyler@carleton.edu
Head of Technical Services
Carleton College Library                507-646-4268 voice
One North College St.                    507 646-4087 fax
Northfield, MN 55057

--On Monday, September 25, 2006 1:29 PM -0500 Liz Lorbeer