Re: Open access jeremiads, archivangelism and self-archiving mandates Dan Lester 26 Sep 2006 20:44 UTC

WW> I'm sure Stevan can (and will) answer for himself, but not every
WW> institution in this policy registry is labeled as having a mandate.  The
WW> ones that are carry the tag mandate next to the country field.

Yes, I'm sure he can and will.  But I was using the term as he used
it, and as far as I can tell, no US institutions have a genuine
mandate.

The relevant definitions from OED are:

A judicial or legal command from a superior to an inferior; any order,
request, etc., issued by a legislative body or embodied in a legislative
act. In early English law: a command of the king and his justices relating
to a private suit. In U.S. Law: a document conveying a decision of a court
of appeal to an inferior court.

and

A command, order, or injunction

And, I infer, that in either of the above definitions there are
sanctions that can be applied to those who don't follow the mandate.
There are none in any of those cited in the US.

Yes, the USA is far from the whole world, but no matter where the
mandate might be, I can't imagine a tenured professor getting fired
because he didn't put one of his articles up under open access.

dan

--
Dan Lester, Data Wrangler  dan@RiverOfData.com 208-283-7711
3577 East Pecan, Boise, Idaho  83716-7115 USA