Re: question about DVD serials Patty Gallilee 06 Sep 2006 18:49 UTC

Karl,

We put all DVD's & CD-roms into a DVD case for easier shelving
amongst other formats (mainly print monographs & serials).

We use CD cases only for music CDs, which are placed in cabinets.

Patty

At 05:47 AM 06/09/2006, Karl Mechem wrote:
>We have been publishing a DVD serial--The Journal of Short Film--for
>a year, now, and are considering a change in our packaging.  But
>we'd like to know how librarians might feel about this.
>The JSF is a quarterly DVD, and we've been putting it in square,
>cd-sized cases.  We are thinking about changing to "tall," standard
>DVD cases starting with the second year's volumes.
>So, my questions would be something like this:
>1) Is it a problem to shelve a DVD in a cd-sized case?
>2) Would a standard DVD-sized case be preferable for shelving purposes?
>3) Would a _change_ cause more problems than it fixes?
>4) Or do serials librarians just defer all this to the media/video librarians?
>
>It seems clear that the DVD serial is here to stay, and I wonder if
>you've given this much thought.
>
>many thanks,
>Karl Mechem
>publisher, The Journal of Short Film
>PO Box 8217
>Columbus, OH  43201
>www.theJSF.org
>mechem@theJSF.org

Patty Gallilee
Head, Acquisitions/Serials Division
W.A.C. Bennett Library
Simon Fraser University                       Email: plg@sfu.ca
8888 University Drive                           Voice: 604/291-3916
Burnaby, BC  CANADA		 FAX: 604/268-6579
V5A 1S6