Re: Tasini: was RE: Do you still keep subscription of microfilms of New York Times and Wall Street J. ? Belvadi, Melissa 15 Nov 2006 16:02 UTC

I was under the impression that immediately after the Tasini decision,
or even a few years before it, the newspapers all changed their standard
contract with freelancers to include rights to republish in databases,
so that the only content affected would be the older content under the
earlier versions of the contracts. If anyone has more specific
information about this, that would be very helpful. If my impression is
true, Tasini would not affect decisions to cancel forward-going
microfilm subscriptions, but only the decision to retain your microfilm
archives.
Of course, there is other content in the newspapers that has never been
in the databases, such as obituaries, advertisements, classified, stock
tables, etc. that may have value for some researchers.
We at Maryville continue our microfilm for the NYT and WSJ for that
reason, even though we have the full text of both (NYT via LexisNexis
Academic, WSJ via Proquest).

Melissa Belvadi
Systems and Services Librarian
Maryville University Library
650 Maryville University Drive, St. Louis, MO 63141
mbelvadi@maryville.edu
314-529-9531
Fax: 314-529-9941