Re: Duel publication question Aline Soules 06 Dec 2006 17:27 UTC

It all depends on the contract the author signed.  I have found my material
appearing in all sorts of places because the publisher wants first north
american serial rights plus rights of reprint.  While we may assume that that
means the right to reprint in the publication to which we are submitting, but
to them, it means either reprinting in any publication in their
megapublishing company or reprinting in any publication - period.

If you don't agree, you can negotiate up front to try to change the wording.
Usually what I do with clauses I don't like is change the wording, sign it
and send it back.  Often, it just goes.  Other times, someone gets back to me
and we negotiate some more.  On a couple of rare occasions, I've been told
agree or we won't publish.

Ultimately, what you sign is what you get.

Aline

Aline Soules
Cal State East Bay
510-885-4596
aline.soules@csueastbay.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Blackwell, Lisa
Sent: Wednesday, December 06, 2006 8:42 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Duel publication question

Hello,
I know that the issue of publishers reprinting articles in several journals
has been discussed on this list (I believe most recently by Phil Davis on
Emerald in 2005). I have a researcher who has just approached me about how to
handle a situation where an article that she submitted to a SAGE publication
has just appeared in PubMED as an online ahead of print and almost
simultaneously the citation appeared in PubMED from another of the
publisher's journals. She is receiving calls from colleagues accusing her of
submitting her article to multiple publications. I have advised her to
contact the journals Editorial Director at SAGE. Has anyone else encountered
this situation? If so, was the author successful in getting the publisher to
withdraw the article from the journal to which he/she did not submit? This
does not appear to be a case where the publisher informed the author at any
time that republication was a right that they might exercise. Comments on
this issue?
Lisa

Lisa S. Blackwell, MLS
Serials/Research Librarian
Children's Hospital Library
700 Childrens Drive
Columbus, Ohio 43205-2696
phone (614)722-3206
fax (614)722-3205
blackwel@chi.osu.edu
"You see, I don't believe that libraries should be drab places where people
sit in silence, and that's been the main reason for our policy of employing
wild animals as librarians."

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, from Children's Hospital,
Columbus, Ohio, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the
information. The recipient is responsible to maintain the confidentiality of
this information and to use the information only for authorized purposes
pursuant to Children's Hospital's confidentiality policies. If you are not
the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended
recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure,
distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in reliance on the contents
of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and
destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.