LITA/ALCTS MARC Formats Interest Group -- corrected Ann Ercelawn 04 Jan 2007 14:53 UTC

---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Thursday, January 04, 2007 9:26 AM -0500
From: "Dickerson, Eugene H" <DickersonEH@STATE.GOV>
To: CONSRLST@sun8.LOC.GOV
Subject: LITA/ALCTS MARC Formats Interest Group

The LITA/ACLTS MARC Formats Interest Group (MFIG) will meet during
ALA Midwinter in Seattle.

Time:  Saturday, January 20, 2007 1:30-3:30 p.m.

Place:  Sheraton Seattle Hotel Grand BR A

Topic:   MARC21:  Going Strong, or So Long?

Our three speakers are:  you, you, and You!

There have been many discussions about the future of MARC 21.  Some
say it's dead, or, at the very least, on life-support.   What do
you, those with a vested interested, think we can do to resuscitate
MARC21, or do we note on its chart:  DNR?

Discussion questions:

1.  MARC21 has survived through its first half decade of the 21st
century.   Do you think that MARC21 will still be alive and well at
the end of this decade?   Why or why not?

2.      Fixing the Fixed Fields:  Fixed-length fields made sense
when there were character length limits in records and limits to
the number of variable length fields in a record.   Do we still
need fixed-length fields?  If so, for which type of data?  Are
there ways to make fixed-length fields more usable?

3.      Streamlining the cataloging processes:  New efforts to
streamline cataloging, such as the new CONSER Standard Record, are
looking at ways to reduce the number of required fields in a
bibliographic record and to eliminate redundancy.   What are some
of the implications for the MARC21 Bibliographic Format,
particularly if this trend expands beyond serials cataloging?

4.      Ingested Data:  A Tasty Treat or Indigestion?  Some of the
discussions concerning the proposed new cataloging code, Resource,
Description, and Access (RDA) are assuming that content creators
will provide metadata that can be ingested for use in creating
bibliographic or authority records.   Where does MARC21 fit into
this scenario?   Are content creators aware of MARC21, or do they
think he's some guy with a funky bunch?

5.     Wishin' and Hopin' and Thinkin':  If you could change one
thing about MARC 21, what would you change?

Break the "three-speakers" pattern and share your thoughts on these
topics with your colleagues.  Come join us and help create a lively
discussion!

Chair:  Gene Dickerson, Lead Librarian for Cataloging, Ralph J.
Bunche Library, U.S. Dept. of State.

Vice-Chair/Chair Elect:  Naomi Young, Principal Serials Cataloger,
Cataloging & Metadata Dept., University of Florida

Eugene Dickerson

Lead Librarian for Cataloging

Ralph J. Bunche Library

U.S. Dept. of State

Tel: 202-647-2191

Fax: 202-647-0203

dickersoneh@state.gov

Our mission is to meet the information needs of our customers and
the United States Government

---UNCLASSIFIED---

This message is UNCLASSIFIED based on the definitions in E.O.
12958.