Re: Print newsletters moving to e-mail Tim Hagan 31 Jan 2007 15:24 UTC

This has definitely been a growing trend the past couple of years.

The easiest solution is to cancel the title.   If the title is still
desired – a quick check with a sympathetic selector can solve this - I
usually contact the publisher directly.   Often with a phone call.

A couple of publishers have gladly allowed us to save issues to our server
and link to them through a locally created web page on a secure site.   A
bit time consuming, but not too bad.  Of course, it’s important to get this
approval in writing.

Some publishers have told me we are not allowed to print out and save their
material.  These are immediately cancelled.   Some freely allow
printing.   One told me printing out was fine, but only one copy!

A couple of email received titles are forwarded directly to the interested
staff or faculty person.  We really try to discourage this and have them
register directly if the title is available at no cost.  If it is a paid
subscription, the email may have to come through the serials/acquisitions
department.

The best case is what happened with a title called the Shipyard
Chronicle.  They were ceasing their print publication in favor of
email.   The title was no longer desired since we had to print out each
issue, so we canceled our subscription.   After that was all settled we
started receiving issues – in print and at no cost!

Good luck

- Tim

At 01:48 PM 1/30/2007, you wrote:
>We are noticing a trend of some smaller print newsletters moving to e-mail
>distribution only.
>
>So far we have seen three varieties:
>
>Aviso (0739-7747)­ email links to a web-version.  Libraries are authorized to
>post the electronic version, or print out the entire newsletter.
>
>State Capitals Newsletter- (0016-1705) .pdf will be emailed.  Printing is
>limited
>to 5 copies.  Specifies: “do not forward email outside of subscriber’s
>organization”
>
>WEF highlights (1087-3384) ­ a link to electronic newsletter will be emailed
>out for each issue.  We don’t have details yet, but it appears you have to
>have to log in on the website. Unkown whether the newsletter can be easily
>printed.  We have been unsucessful in contacting the publisher to provide
>them an email address as instructed.
>
>Are others noticing this trend?
>If so how are you handling this?
>
>- Cancelling the subscription?
>- Printing out the newsletter?
>- Posting the newsletter on a local server?
>- Forwarding the newsletter to interested parties?
>- Other
>
>Curiously, we have not yet received anything from the publishers since we
>provided them with an email address.
>
>If you choose, you may reply off list to sl24@txstate.edu
>
>Thank you,
>
>Stephanie Larrison