Re: [SERIALIST]: Students and Checkin Lynn Cote 18 Jan 2007 12:24 UTC

Allison wrote:
The issue isn't just "will you use students to checkin serials" - the
issue is "WHICH students will you let checkin serials?" If you get the
right one, it can be a fabulous help. Get the wrong one and you'll spend
a lot of time going in behind them making corrections. You have to
decide if it's worth the time in training and supervision.

I agree 100% with Allison's statement.  We also have fewer students
since we receive fewer print subscriptions but students still do the
bulk of our check-in (as well as mail opening and shelving).  Some
students can only handle the 'basic' check-in (matching the exact issue
to the 'expected issue') while others (particularly those who have been
with us for a few years) are really good at handling the more difficult
check-in (those issues requiring enumeration or chronology editing, or
overall pattern assessment).   After training a student it's pretty
clear what his/her capabilities are and what his/her capacity is.  I had
a student for 5 years who oversaw check-in, did our union listing (for
us as well as 5 regional campuses) and also verified electronic access
for titles converted to 'online' and then added 856s into our bib.
records (pre-SerialsSolutions MARC records).  She was terrific!  And
then we've had others ....  but we were able to use them for mail
opening, shelving, etc.

Lynn K. Cote
Serials Cataloger
Collections Services, U-2005
University of Connecticut
Homer Babbidge Library
369 Fairfield Rd.
Storrs, CT  06269-2005
ph. (860)486-6495
fax (860)486-6493
Please report problems with access to electronic resources to
elibrary@uconn.edu