Re: Constantly losing E-access in the beginning of the year Skwor, Jeanette 20 Feb 2007 21:49 UTC

We are just about to implement a search of each title, checking online
access, at the beginning of each subscription period.  I am thinking
students will be doing it.

I don't expect it will take any more time than searching paper claims.

Good luck with the refund!!!  Wouldn't *that* be fair???  Or an
extension of the subs period!     Not, of course, that I am holding my
breath . . .

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI  54311-7003

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will
get you through times of no libraries."
                              Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Patty Wood
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 3:17 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Constantly losing E-access in the beginning of the
year

Hello Colleagues,

Every beginning of the year (about January-March) our library loses
access to several online journals of which we actively subscribe.  We
work through a serials vendor, and they contact the publisher whenever
we lose access.  The reason for lost access may be a  payment
discrepancy, license signing need, IP address question or some kind of
incorrect information in the publisher's record for our subscription.

I know this problem of early-year lost access occurs with many
libraries. I would like to hear your ideas or best practices on how to
avoid losing online access.

Some ideas that I have considered:
--Requesting a letter from each publisher in December verifying that we
have paid for the subscription and that we will have access (we would
have our agent do this, but it is still time-consuming) --Requesting a
refund for each day that we do not have access

Please share your ideas.  I will summarize for the list.

Patty Wood
Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.