Re: Indexing CODEN and Abbreviated Title in catalog? Bluhm-Stieber, Hella 06 Feb 2007 20:51 UTC

Hello all,
I work in a medical library and our users use title abbreviations all the
time (210 field). Most of their citations use the NLM title abbreviations.
So, we started adding this field to our public index, as well as the key
title.
Hella

Hella Bluhm-Stieber, MLIS, AHIP
Medical Librarian
Milton J. Chatton Medical Library
Santa Clara Valley Health & Hospital System
751 S. Bascom Ave.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 885-5654
Fax (408) 885-5655
Monday-Thursday, 9am - 1pm, closed Fridays and county holidays.

-----Original Message-----
From: Susan Andrews [mailto:Susan_Andrews@TAMU-COMMERCE.EDU]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 10:40 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Indexing CODEN and Abbreviated Title in catalog?

Chris,

I have never had anyone indicate that they searched by CODEN, but I
had to get our 210 and 222 fields to index because I had a science
professor who was looking things up from some index (I don't know
which) that was using those abbreviations.  Now this was a 4 or 5
years ago (maybe a bit more, definitely no more than 8 years) and
probably everyone searches online now, but I admit that I have never
looked in the science databases (any that are not all full-text) to
see if they are using the abbreviations or not these days.

Anyway, my answer to the question is, what are your professors (I
would say specifically science, since they are the only ones that
seemed to have this problem here) using to find their research
materials and if those things don't use the CODEN or brief title,
etc. in the citation, then I wouldn't fool with it.

Hope this helps,

Susan Andrews

At 11:11 AM 2/6/2007, you wrote:
>Dear Chris,
>
>We just had this discussion yesterday ... as we are in the process of
>reindexing for a  new system. We decided that both the 210 (abbreviated
>title) and the 222 (key title) should neither be indexed nor displayed on
>the patron side ... for our library. (Of course, it will be in the MARC
>record on the tech services side.) The group (including public services
>folks) decided that it causes more confusion than it's worth. They never
>search by those tags ... and they have never had students/patrons come to
>them searching by those tags.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Best wishes,
>Julie Moore
>Catalogue Librarian
>California State University, Fresno
>julie.renee.moore@gmail.com
>

>On 2/6/07, Chris Blackman <Christine.W.Blackman@williams.edu> wrote:
>
>Is it even used enough in citation to make it worthwhile?
>
>Any thoughts on either CODEN or on abbreviated title?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Chris
>
>--
>Christine W. Blackman
>Catalog Librarian
>Williams College Libraries
>Williamstown, MA  01267
>413-597-4403
>cblackma@williams.edu

Susan Andrews
Head, Serials Librarian
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Susan_Andrews@tamu-commerce.edu
(903)886-5733
"Your Success Is Our Business"
NOTICE: This email message and/or its attachments may contain information that is
confidential or restricted. It is intended only for the individuals named as recipients in
the message. If you are NOT an authorized recipient, you are prohibited from using,
delivering, distributing, printing, copying, or disclosing the message or content to
others and must delete the message from your computer. If you have received this
message in error, please notify the sender by return email.