Re: ACS online journals Beverly Dowdy 15 Feb 2007 17:11 UTC

Alison - There is no way to get around subscriptions published by the ACS.
You do need them for accreditation.

The only way to bring down the price is to subscribe to the online package
through a consortium.

Beverly Dowdy
Serials Librarian
University of Central Oklahoma

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Mays, Allison
Sent: Thursday, February 15, 2007 9:58 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] ACS online journals

Hello all,

Concerning the American Chemical Society online journal packages. We
have this and it's killing our budget, especially given that we are a
small liberal arts college and it's just not used that much. We would
like to go with the pay-per-view option but they require you to use a
credit card for each article. There is no "shopping cart" feature to
expedite the payment process, nor do they let you set up an account that
could be invoiced. This would make research for our faculty rather
laborious, not to mention the hassle of using a personal credit card and
being reimbursed.

Here's the conundrum: we have to have these journals for our chemistry
department's accreditation. And the ACS is the accrediting body. AND the
publisher of these journals. Is it just me or is there a conflict of
interest here? Talk about guaranteed employment/sales! What bugs me is
that the ACS has no incentive to make the pay-per-view option easier to
use. There is apparently no competition - or is there??

Is anyone out there using a different source for chemistry journals? Or
do you have any ideas for me about the pay-per-view option? If my
information about the pay-per-view is incorrect or things have changed,
please let me know.

Thanks.

Allison P. Mays

Coordinator of Acquisitions & Cataloging

Millsaps College

1701 N. State Street

Jackson, MS 39210

601-974-1083