Re: Sports Illustrated policy Ian Woodward 08 Mar 2007 14:13 UTC

Libraries  do operate under budget constraints, and a decision to
purchase x is a decision not to purchase y, so an implicit or explicit
hierarchy of value is being applied.  Libraries also have institutional
missions (generally and optimally not defined by the staff of these
libraries), which may or may not be advanced by public distribution of
shots of Beyonce in a bikini.  There is a commercial market for serving
appetites of various sorts.  No need for librarians to act as mediators.
IW

I.  Woodward
Serials Office
Colgate University Libraries
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, N.Y. 13346
Ph.:   315-228-7306
Fax:   315-228-7029

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Melissa Farley
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:56 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Sports Illustrated policy

What, exactly, does the content of the magazine have to do with this
matter?  We are a *library*, and generally, libraries aren't into
censorship.

We paid for the issue; we're entitled to the issue.

Period.

William Walsh wrote:

>I'd be surprised if many taxpayers in Georgia were appalled that their
money didn't fund a library's receipt of pictures of Beyonce in a
bikini.

--

         Melissa Farley
   Library Technical Assistant