Marcedit help request Irma Nicola 08 Mar 2007 21:39 UTC

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
system
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 6:59 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: SERIALST Digest - 7 Mar 2007 to 8 Mar 2007 - Special issue
(#2007-52)

Topics in this special issue:

  1. Sports Illustrated policy (18)
  2. sports illustrated (2)
  3. RE- Sports Illustrated SwimSuit issue
  4. Sports Illustrated (2)
  5. Supplements (Was: RE: Sports Illustrated SwimSuit issue) (2)
  6. Censorship and the Swimsuit issue

Date:    Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:35:17 -0600
From:    "Kevin M. Randall" <kmr@NORTHWESTERN.EDU>
Subject: Re: Sports Illustrated policy

The content of this particular issue of Sports Illustrated is *not* the
problem being discussed.  The problem is that an issue is not being
distributed to subscribers.  What that issue contains is immaterial.
The
subscribers paid for the issue, they are entitled to it, according to
the
implicit agreement in the subscription.  And that *is* a matter of
justice,
ethics, and morals.

Kevin M. Randall
Head of Serials Cataloging
Northwestern University Library
1970 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL  60208-2300
email: kmr@northwestern.edu
phone: (847) 491-2939
fax:   (847) 491-4345

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 7 Mar 2007 16:39:35 -0600
From:    "Kevin M. Randall" <kmr@NORTHWESTERN.EDU>

The swimsuit issue can have a legitimate research purpose in many
libraries.  (And no, I am not in the least trying to be funny or
sarcastic.)  The more this saga goes on, the more clear it does seem
that
it's a sales ploy by the publisher.

At 12:53 PM 3/7/2007, Ian Woodward wrote:
> >>--I bet  that corporate is afraid that if students can look at the
>issue in
>libraries, they won't buy their own copy.  It's all about money.
That's

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 7 Mar 2007 15:32:04 -0800
From:    Kristin Ingman <kristiningman@YAHOO.COM>
Subject: sports illustrated

Hi all, after reading the posts this week I noticed that I, too, did not
receive that sports illustrated. I couldn't believe it because we got it
last year. I told my library director (we're a small institution) and
she couldn't believe it either. If anybody feels so inclined, I would
suggest actually writing to the NYtimes to see if they even respond.
With the way censorship is going these days, this is a troubling
development. It would be interesting to see if others outside the
library world agree. Their email is: news-tips@nytimes.com .

  Sincerely,

  Kristin Ingman
  Library Assistant
  Johnson & Wales University

---------------------------------
TV dinner still cooling?

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 7 Mar 2007 20:10:43 -0500
From:    Eleanor Cook <cookei@APPSTATE.EDU>
Subject: RE- Sports Illustrated SwimSuit issue

This is the message I just sent to my Ebsco account rep concerning the
Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue:

There is a thread on SERIALST about the Sports Illustrated SwimSuit
issue - they are saying that Ebsco has reported to several libraries
that Time, Inc is not supplying this issue to libraries anymore.  A
number of people have then commented saying "who are they to decide
this" - demanding that they supply the issue since it is part of the
subscription.  It should be part of our subscription and it always has
been in the past.  It appears from our checkin records that it has not
come in - if it is indeed v.106, no.7 - then it is not here.  (Our
checkin manager thought it had come, but if this is the issue number, it

hasn't)

I am in agreement with others that this is a disturbing, censorial
trend.  The swimsuit issue is definitely popular in the mail room and
with the guys - but it also is a fashion standard which our Family &
Consumer Science Dept. might use to track women's fashions over the
years (seriously).  We do want it - if they decide to market it
separately in the future then they should call it a supplement and not
number it with the yearly issues. I will try to contact someone at the
publisher to register my complaint, but I realize that this is one of
those "black hole" titles that comes from a big distribution factory.

Sincerely,
Eleanor Cook

Eleanor I. Cook
Serials Coordinator & Professor
Belk Library, ASU Box 32026
Appalachian State University
Boone, NC 28608-2026
828-262-2786
828-262-2773 (fax)
cookei@appstate.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 7 Mar 2007 19:51:06 -0600
From:    Mary Williams <mary.williams@MINOTSTATEU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Sports Illustrated

=20
Beyonce?

________________________________

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 07:55:46 -0500
From:    Melissa Farley <mfarley@WESTGA.EDU>

What, exactly, does the content of the magazine have to do with this
matter?  We are a *library*, and generally, libraries aren't into
censorship.

We paid for the issue; we're entitled to the issue.

Period.

William Walsh wrote:

>I'd be surprised if many taxpayers in Georgia were appalled that their
money didn't fund a library's receipt of pictures of Beyonce in a
bikini.

--
********************************

         Melissa Farley
   Library Technical Assistant
 Irvine Sullivan Ingram Library
   University of West Georgia
      Carrollton, GA 30118

         (678) 839-6498
       mfarley@westga.edu

********************************

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:02:30 -0500
From:    Ian Woodward <iwoodward@MAIL.COLGATE.EDU>

Mr. Randall, a series of people indicated they were intimidated by Time
Warner not distributing the issue in deference to public sensibilities.
That may not be your issue, but it was theirs, and that was the issue I
addressed.   (And on more than one occasion, I made reference to the
obligation of the publisher to honor implicit contracts, if that is of
interest to you).    IW

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:04:34 -0500
From:    Ian Woodward <iwoodward@MAIL.COLGATE.EDU>

I can imagine amateurish research using the swimsuit issue, somewhere in
the same region referred to in the spam that greets me every morning.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:04:47 -0500
From:    Regina Reynolds <rrey@LOC.GOV>

LibraryJournal.com has an article about this policy including a customer
service number libraries can call to request the issue.

http://www.libraryjournal.com/article/CA6422612.html

Regina 	R. Reynolds                     email: rrey@loc.gov
Head, National Serials Data Program     voice: (202) 707-6379
Library of Congress                     fax    (202) 707-6333
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.           ISSN Web page:
lcweb.loc.gov/issn/
Washington, D.C. 20540-4160

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:08:52 -0500
From:    Ian Woodward <iwoodward@MAIL.COLGATE.EDU>

Madam, 'censorship' is an authoritative regulation implemented by the
public authorities, not a voluntary abstention on the part of commercial
corporations.  Kindly explain what you mean by "with the way censorship
is going these days"?  What is being censored?  The world is awash in
internet porn and nude dancing at the Kitty Kat Lounge has been extended
by our rogue judiciary a degree of First Amendment protection under
half-baked conceptions of 'freedom of expression'.  IW

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:13:45 -0500
From:    Ian Woodward <iwoodward@MAIL.COLGATE.EDU>

Libraries  do operate under budget constraints, and a decision to
purchase x is a decision not to purchase y, so an implicit or explicit
hierarchy of value is being applied.  Libraries also have institutional
missions (generally and optimally not defined by the staff of these
libraries), which may or may not be advanced by public distribution of
shots of Beyonce in a bikini.  There is a commercial market for serving
appetites of various sorts.  No need for librarians to act as mediators.

--
********************************

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:17:59 -0500
From:    Max Shenk <MShenk@MC3.EDU>

A flaw in this theory is that in most bookstores I frequent, there are
STACKS of the swimsuit issue on display well into April. This issue
isn't usually pulled from the racks at the end of the cover week.

Not that I've ever, you know, gone LOOKING for one... ;-)

Max Shenk
Periodicals Assistant
Montgomery County Community College Library
Blue Bell, PA
215-641-6597

>>> Ian Woodward <iwoodward@MAIL.COLGATE.EDU> 3/7/2007 2:07 PM >>>
Bingo.  IW

I.  Woodward
Serials Office
Colgate University Libraries
Case Library and Geyer Center for Information Technology
13 Oak Drive
Hamilton, N.Y. 13346
Ph.:   315-228-7306
Fax:   315-228-7029

Has it occurred to anyone but me that there may have been a greater
demand than anticipated and that issues were diverted to newstands?  Or
am I just a cynical curmudgeon?

Mary

--
Mary Williams
Serials Librarian
Minot State University
500 University Ave. W
Minot, ND  58707

(701) 858-4285

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:21:07 -0600
From:    "Skwor, Jeanette" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
Subject: Supplements (Was: RE: Sports Illustrated SwimSuit issue)

I am confused.  Do subscriptions not include supplements?

I know there are some bundled subscriptions, which we choose as
including this or that, or not, but I cannot think of anything to which
we subscribe for which parts are published that are not available to us.

Maybe it's just too early in the morning . . .

Jeanette L. Skwor
Cofrin Library, Serials Dept.
UW-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI 54311

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:09:26 -0500
From:    "Howlett, Lee Ann" <lhowlett@HEALTH.USF.EDU>

'Smut' is a judgement call
that varies from person to person.
Who decides where the lines should
be drawn?  I do happen to find this
idea both appalling and frightening.

The personal opinion of the librarian
should not play into this.  Neither should
the personal/political agenda of those
at Time Inc. when paid subscriptions should
be honored.

LAH

__________________________________
Lee Ann Howlett, MA
Head, Serials Dept.
Shimberg Health Sciences Library
University of South Florida
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., MDC 31
Tampa, FL  33612
(813) 974-9080=20
(813) 974-7032 (fax)
email: LHOWLETT@HEALTH.USF.EDU

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:28:19 -0500
From:    "Thomas, Susan Elaine" <suethoma@IUSB.EDU>

I am not sure I understand what you mean by amateurish research.  As
previously noted it has huge research potential in terms of fashion,
fashion design, and definitely pop culture.  Other areas of research
might be marketing, journalism, photography, art, gender and women's
studies, history, psychology, etc.

If Time Warner has elected to change their policy where was the
notification?  I am constantly bombarded with letters and emails
explaining changes in terms of subscriptions and do not recall seeing
anything either from EBSCO or from Time Warner indicating this change.

It seems wrong, definitely very wrong for them to have made this
decision.  It also seems obvious that this was a decision made purely
for profit.  Unfortunately for Time Warner, it appears to be a new form
of publisher censorship.

I think when we subscribed or renewed our subscriptions to this
publication it was under the assumption that we would receive all the
issues published.  Time Warner has noted that they did not send this
particular issue to institutions/organizations that use a subscription
management service and that this is a new policy for them, but have they
provided a reason for the change?  I think we need to push them to state
explicitly why they did this.  It should add fuel to the fire.

Susan E. Thomas
Head of Collection Development
Schurz Library
Indiana University South Bend
(574) 520-5500
suethoma@iusb.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:27:39 -0500
From:    "Howlett, Lee Ann" <lhowlett@HEALTH.USF.EDU>

We subscribe to some medical periodicals
that require separate subscriptions to their
supplements.  The supplements almost always
have separate numbering schemes from the main title.

LAH
__________________________________

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:32:16 -0500
From:    Jane Binksma <jbinksma@GWEMAIL.RYERSON.CA>

Has anyone checked their collection to see if there are previous
swimsuit editions?

Jane Binksma
Acquisitions Librarian
Collections Team
Ryerson University Library
350 Victoria Street
Toronto, ON
M5B 2K3
416-979-5000 ex. 4855

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:42:07 -0500
From:    Melissa Farley <mfarley@WESTGA.EDU>

Thank you for posting this.  Take note of this paraphrase from Rick
McCabe at Sports Illustrated:

"Those institutions that didn't receive an issue can request it either
through a toll-free customer-service <http://www.SI.com/customerservice>

number or the web site, he said; already some have done so through their

serials vendor. "

Has this been true for ANY of you?  From what I was seeing yesterday,
we've all been told that they either refuse to send the issue or that
they're out of the issue.

-Melissa

--
********************************

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:42:06 -0500
From:    Max Shenk <MShenk@MC3.EDU>

In the immortal words of Tom Lehrer:

All books can be indecent books
Though recent books are bolder
For filth, I'm glad to say,
Is in the mind of the beholder
When correctly viewed
Everything is lewd
I could tell you things about Peter Pan
And the Wizard of Oz, there's a dirty old man!

("Smut" by Tom Lehrer)

_________________________________

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:45:02 -0500
From:    Max Shenk <MShenk@MC3.EDU>

Our library receives it every year. We keep it on reserve at the
periodicals desk so that it's not damaged when we do our bindery order.
This is the first year we haven't gotten it.

In the five years I've been at this job, no one has ever asked for it on
reserve, incidentally.

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:46:50 -0500
From:    "Couillard, Monique" <Monique.Couillard@UNH.EDU>

My Ebsco rep was told yesterday (Wed. 03/07/07) there are no copies
left.

Monique Couillard
Serials Check In Supervisor
Dimond Library - University of New Hampshire
Durham, NH 03824
(603) 862-1972
moniquec@cisunix.unh.edu

--
********************************

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:49:41 -0600
From:    "O'Brien, Pamela" <Pamela.OBrien@STJUDE.ORG>
Subject: Censorship and the Swimsuit issue

Dear Mr. Woodward,

=20

If you truly believe censorship is "not a voluntary abstention on the
part of commercial corporations" then=20

Big Brother would gladly welcome you to a land where everything is
distributed through Walmart and we

purchase and believe everything those corporate CEOs (making billions of
$) spoonfeed us.

 =20

Sure, maybe there will be some "voluntary abstention" of contraceptive
products or even Harry Potter books,

but everything will be antiseptically rosy and wonderful in our
corporately conjured world.

=20

=20

Pamela O'Brien

Biomedical Library

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

901-495-3389

=20

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:49:42 -0000
From:    Dan Lester <dan@RIVEROFDATA.COM>

----=M_44d517c395eb92f37ee86fd8b7073c25

I agree completely with your comments on purported "amateurish
research".  Long ago and far away, in an ARL library, we received
Playboy and archived it on COLOR microfilm.  Why?  Requests from Theater
and from Fashion Design (in Home Ec at the time, no idea what they call
it now).  Both wanted to have historical/archival information on
clothing, and Playboy was, at least then, one of the standards for
current male fashion.  The only flaw was when we realized that we'd have
to keep the reels of microfilm secure when guys (presumably) realized
that the frames of attractive women could be cut out, put in 2x2 slide
mounts, and used for entertainment at frat parties and such.  After
replacing a few reels we realized what was happening.

Yes, SI should have warned customers, or given them an "opt out" choice
if they chose not to receive it.  (Still seems to me that if "the
college of sacred purity" didn't want to put it out for their students
they could simply trash it as soon as it arrived)

Has anyone found out yet from SI or from any of your student assistants
whether on-campus subscribers received their copies?  I wonder if the
"trigger" for not sending it was the word "library" or a campus zip
code, or something else.

At this point, I'm not sure the "why" matters, other than what they've
already said to LJ Online, as previously cited.

But I will bet that they'll not do it again.

dan

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 14:51:30 -0000
From:    Dan Lester <dan@RIVEROFDATA.COM>

----=M_22431389a8bf0c96d6b80b141ffad537

SI has done their annual swimsuit edition for many years, always in
February as near as I recall.  I don't know when it first started, but
it was well over a decade ago.

dan

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 08:56:56 -0600
From:    "Schueler, Rhonda N" <Rhonda.N.Schueler@NHMCCD.EDU>

Out of curiosity, I emailed customer service late yesterday, rather than
going through Ebsco, claiming this issue for six of our locations.  The
reply I received back this morning gave me the choice of the issue or an
extension.  I did reply back that the issue was wanted and that an
extension or credit would not be accepted.  I have not heard back as of
yet.

Rhonda Schueler
Serials/ILL Specialist
NHMCCD ALS
832-813-6587  fax 832-813-6614
rhonda.n.schueler@nhmccd.edu

--
********************************

Date:    Thu, 8 Mar 2007 09:57:01 -0500
From:    William Walsh <libwdw@LANGATE.GSU.EDU>

You are entitled to the issue;  I didn't imply otherwise.

I did say that I doubted many taxpayers would be appalled over this.

Melissa, Does your library buy everything published, or are you more
selective than that?

Bill

>>> On 3/8/2007 at 7:55 AM, Melissa Farley <mfarley@WESTGA.EDU> wrote:
> What, exactly, does the content of the magazine have to do with this
> matter?  We are a *library*, and generally, libraries aren't into
> censorship.
>
> We paid for the issue; we're entitled to the issue.
>
> Period.
>
> William Walsh wrote:
>
>>I'd be surprised if many taxpayers in Georgia were appalled that their
money
> didn't fund a library's receipt of pictures of Beyonce in a bikini.
>>
>>Time handled this poorly, but the situation hardly seems scandalous.
>>
>>Bill

>>> On 3/7/2007 at 12:12 PM, Melissa Farley <mfarley@WESTGA.EDU> wrote:
> It doesn't really matter whether it's a public library or not.
> Individual libraries, whether public or private, can make the decision

> for themselves whether to display the issue, as can doctor's offices
and
> other public institutions.  It is never appropriate for the publisher
> make that decision for all of any group.  It is more appropriate for
> them to have an opt-in list for such action.
>
> As I implied before, it is even more scandal-worthy and appalling when

> taxpayer's money is involved.
>
> -Melissa Farley

End of SERIALST Digest - 7 Mar 2007 to 8 Mar 2007 - Special issue
(#2007-52)
****