Re: Appraisal services for journal/magazine backfiles? Susan Wishnetsky 13 Mar 2007 18:15 UTC

>Date:         Tue, 13 Mar 2007 09:58:48 -0500
>From: "Pennington, Buddy D." <penningtonb@UMKC.EDU>
>Subject: [SERIALST] Appraisal services for journal/magazine backfiles?
>To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
>
>Hi all,
>
>In preparing a donor information pamphlet, we realized that we were down
>to one listed appraisal service for journal or magazine backfiles.  We
>have Absolute listed but Jaeger is no longer in operation and PSC does
>not provide appraisal services.
>
>Does anyone out there have any others we could list for potential donors?

Now, here in Chicago, we found an appraiser of journals in a bookstore.
Great guy.  If we hadn't been referred, we never would have guessed that
anyone there would be willing or able to appraise journal issues.

So you might contact:

Spivey's Rare Books, Maps and Fine Art
825 Westport Road
Kansas City, Missouri 64111
Website:
<http://www.biblio.com/bookstores//lnk.php?site=80898>http://www.spiveysbooks.com
Phone number: 816-753-0520

And if they can't do it, they might just refer you to someone who can.
Worth a shot, no?  Aside from that angle, there's also the answers we got
earlier about back issue dealers from two Serialsters.  Besides Absolute
and PSC, they listed

Swets: http://www.swets.com/web/show/id=80711/langid=42

USBE: http://www.usbe.com/

as well as the suggestion to Google "old issues magazines".  Maybe that'd
work.  SW

>Buddy Pennington
>Serial Acquisitions Librarian
>University of Missouri - Kansas City
>University Libraries
>www.umkc.edu/lib <http://www.umkc.edu/lib>

Susan Wishnetsky
Electronic Resources Librarian
Galter Health Sciences Library
The Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University
303 East Chicago Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60611-3008

(312) 503-9351
FAX (312) 503-1204