Re: recycling bound journals Thomas, Susan Elaine 30 Mar 2007 19:12 UTC

Lucy,

We just went through a similar weeding project.  We contacted several
local recycling companies, including the one used by the campus and
asked for their process and price quotes.  We reviewed the data each
supplied and selected the one that seemed to fit best with our needs and
budget.  The company we went with uses large trash bins with lids (like
a local trash removal service might use).  We have about 20 each week
that we fill up.  The company picks up once a week leaving us the
emptied bins.  The only thing we have to do is keep paper and cloth
bound items in separate bins.

Let me know if you have questions or would like additional information.

Susan E. Thomas
Head of Collection Development
Schurz Library
Indiana University South Bend
(574) 520-5500
suethoma@iusb.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Lucy Crews
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2007 1:47 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] recycling bound journals

We are preparing for a major journal removal project - space driven,
unfortunately.

We are in Staunton, Virginia, Shenandoah Valley.

Does anyone in our area know a company that would recycle bound journals
?

We hope to sell, give away, or recycle rather than just send these to
the
dump.  Unfortunately, a lot are JSTOR titles which regular backfile
dealers
no longer want.

Thanks for any suggestions from the local libraries.

Lucy A. Crews
Catalog / Serials Librarian
Grafton Library
Mary Baldwin College