Re: Standard practices re: vol. numbers for combined issues or skipped issues? Skwor, Jeanette 06 Mar 2007 20:49 UTC

I agree, but would push a lttle harder for combined numbers rather than
skipped.  If I am expecting vol. 22, no. 1 for Jan, 2 for Feb, and
Mar/April is 3, I am left with a pattern expecting the wrong numbers for
the rest of the year (e.g. May #5, not 4).

And yes yes yes, thank you for asking!

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI  54311-7003

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will
get you through times of no libraries."
                              Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of BLACK, STEVE
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2007 11:28 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Standard practices re: vol. numbers for combined
issues or skipped issues?

First, thank you for asking! It's refreshing to have a publisher care
about our viewpoints on matters like this.

Second, the most important thing is to communicate in the published
issues exactly what you're doing, and to spell out what the change is
and how enumeration of future issues will be affected.

If numbers correspond to weeks of the year, my personal preference would
be to combine the numbers, e.g. 26/27, so that no.28 still corresponds
with the 28th week of the year. That's not a standard, but it would work
and make sense.

You will want to call it a combined issue rather than a skipped (or
omitted) issue if you go that route. If you do just skip a number, have
it say clearly in the issues before and after the skipped one what you
did.

Steve Black
Reference, Serials, and Instruction Librarian Neil Hellman Library The
College of Saint Rose
392 Western Ave.
Albany, NY 12203
(518) 458-5494