Re: Standard practices re: vol. numbers for combined issues or skipped issues? Mina Muessigmann 06 Mar 2007 21:02 UTC

Please DON'T just skip the number.
That leaves us all wondering whether or not it was ever published.
Thanks,
MM

At 09:21 AM 3/5/2007, you wrote:
>Hello all-
>
>I  hope this is not  a repeat request and that it is an appropriate
>request. I did try to  search the archives.
>
>This is an area outside my  expertise.
>
>I have been  asked to find out if there are standard  practices for
>numbering volumes that  serials engage in  in when issues are  combined or
>skipped.
>
>Right now we include a Vol. number , with No. X," where X corresponds to
>the week of the year.
>
>We'll be producing one combined issue this year, so we will effectively be
>skipping an issue.  Is it standard practice to *not* skip a number, even
>though we're skipping an issue? How do other magazines that do double
>issues during the year treat this?
>
>Thank you,
>
>Mari
>
>Mari Keefe
>Research Manager
>Computerworld
>mari_keefe@computerworld.com
>
>Know an IT Leader? Is there someone you’d like to recommend for next
>year’s Premier 100 IT Leaders list? Nominate that person today at
>http://www.computerworld.com/p100nominations08
>****
>Computerworld is seeking nominations for truly new and innovative
>corporate or consumer technologies for our third annual Horizon Awards.
>Click for more information:
>http://survey.computerworld.com/surveys/horizon07/horizon07.htm
>****
>Computerworld is seeking to identify 40 innovative technology people to
>watch, under the age of 40. Nominations information here:
>http://survey.computerworld.com/surveys/40under40/40under40.htm
>****
>Want to be notified about  next year's Best Places to Work in IT program?
>Email me at  mari_keefe@computerworld.com
>I'll  put you  on my alerts list!
>****
>
>Find information about all Computerworld's Editorial Research Projects and
>Awards at http://www.computerworld.com/html/research

Mina Muessigmann
San Diego State University -- Love Library
Serials Cataloging -- LL 115
5500 Campanile Drive,  San Diego,  CA  92182-8050
(619)594-6755  email: minamues@mail.sdsu.edu