Re: Sports Illustrated policy Brenda L Battleson 07 Mar 2007 19:46 UTC

Regarding the "special issue" of Sports Illustrated, I don't think any
library should have to ask for replacement or public donation to acquire
whay SI refuses to send. When we subscribe to a periodical, we PRE-PAY for
all issues published in a given year unless otherwise stated in the
subscription. We are thus entitled to those issues, correct? Whether or not
we *choose* to add the swimsuit or any other issue to our collection is up
to us. It is not up to SI/Time to make that decision for us.

As for the "public place" excuse, I'm wondering... Aren't newstands and
bookstores just as "public" as libraries and doctors' offices? Do you
suppose that SI refused to fulfill their requests for the swimsuit issue
because of potential complaints?? No. And I don't think it is censorship so
much as it is greed, as mentioned in an earlier post.

I don't know about you, but having any gap in a periodicals run drives me
bonkers. Having to purchase an issue that was already paid for is a waste
of money and time when it is due to theft of misshelving. When it is the
result the actions of the publisher, it's maddening. And the excuses given
just add fuel to the fire. For instance, offering on extra issues to make
up for the one not sent... like most of you, we paid annually for our SI
subscription, so extending it by 2 issues does little more than screw up
the bookkeeping.

By the way, we cancelled SI beginning in 2007, so this really doesn't
affect my institution directly. I has greatly disappointed the guys who
work in our mailroom, though. ;-)

I just felt a need to chime in.

Brenda

--
Brenda L. Battleson
Head, Print Periodicals/Serials

--On Wednesday, March 07, 2007 12:27 PM -0500 "Thomas, Susan Elaine"