Re: Dealing with password authenticated online content Barbara Pope 30 May 2007 15:27 UTC

I personally think that having to maintain a list of user ids and
passwords is a real pain and would love to find a way to get around
that.  For the most part, though, our journal publishers use ip
authentication  and are fine with that, but a few do not.  Some
publishers and database companies stipulate in their licenses that only
students, staff, or faculty of your college are allowed to use the
product.  This seems kind of silly to me, because in the old days of
print journals and microfilm, there were no restrictions on access.
Anyone who could get to the library could use it or copies could be
requested on ill.  It seems odd to me that the the introduction of a new
delivery medium changed this.  Maybe I am missing the obvious here.

Barbara Pope, MALS
Reference/Periodicals Librarian
Axe Library
Pittsburg State University