Re: Bar-coding periodicals Lori Rotterman 31 May 2007 19:42 UTC

The majority of our periodicals do not circulate.  These have bib
records in our catalog and are checked in when they are received so that
you can see from the record which issues we have.  Some of these are
later bound, some are held until the microfilm is received (at which
time they are discarded), and some are held for a specific length of
time and then discarded (3 months, 6 months, 1 year, etc).  There are no
barcodes or labels attached to these, and they are shelved in alpha
order.  We do not track usage of these except during our semi-annual
usage surveys where we ask patrons to not re-shelve any items themselves
and we take counts of the items when they are re-shelved by staff.

We do attach barcodes and labels to issues of magazines which do
circulate.  These are shelved separately from the rest of the
collection, also in alpha order, and have a simple CIRCULATING MAGAZINE
label attached to the front cover.  The barcode is not connected to the
catalog bib record; it is simply a generic record of the title and issue
date, and allows the item to be checked out and placed on a patron's
record.  After various amounts of time, depending on the usage of the
magazine in question, these issues are eventually withdrawn from the
system and discarded.

Lori Rotterman
Serials Clerk
Dayton Metro Library