Re: questions regarding open current periodical stacks Patricia Pettijohn 03 May 2007 19:01 UTC

1. We have a section for the latest isues of popular and heavily used
periodicals, the periodicals browsing section.  The browsing section
also includes newspapers, and is located between the main peridicals
section and the leisure reading section, bridging the two.  It is fairly
heavily used, and we have a comfortable reading section adjacent.  The
browsing area includes only the most recent edition of general and
popular titles, multi-disciplinary titles, more frequently published
titles, etc. Shelved alphabetically by title, not by call number. The
Advocate, American Heritage, Atlantic, Audubon, Barrons, Booklist,
Business Week... you get the idea. They are displayed with the cover
facing out on display style shelves.  The catalog shows a separate
location note, MOST RECENT ISSUE IN BROWSING PERIODICALS.

2. During physical processing (by student assistants) browsing issues
are marked so that student shelvers recognize them and shelve them
correctly in the browsing area. A list of the periodical titles held in
the browsing area is always kept on the desk of the physical processing
area, and it has never been a problem to ensure that titles go to the
correct location initially.  When the next edition arrives, it is marked
for the browsing area, the prior issue is moved to the main peridical
area, and the browsing mark is removed from this issue.

3. Titles in the browsing periodicals area are also on a fast-track for
check-in and processing, we try to get them out quickly.

4. All other new issues of new periodicals are shelved in the main
periodicals area, along with all issues and volumes of the same title.
Vol 27 no.1 follows vol. 26, etc.  All but the most recent issue of the
populsr/browsing area titles are also in the main periodicals area.

5.  Retention- if held in JSTOR, Project Muse, ACS, or another
electronic format with perpetual access and archiving rights guaranteed,
we toss them, usually after five years plus current year (JSTOR moving
wall).  In cases where we get micro I theoretically toss those after the
micro is received, but everyone hates actually using micro, so I have a
tendency to keep the print of those titles that are actually being used,
because it is so much simpler for students to use and copy print than
micro. If a title is published frequently, so that back issues mount up
and take up space, I will retain only two or three years plus current.
I don't bind any JSTOR or other archived periodicals.

6.  With a few exceptions, I do not toss print if it is only held in an
aggregator, such as ProQuest, Wilson, Lexis, etc.

7.  We security strip all inssues, and we allow them to go to any floor,
and frankly I am not sure how we could enforce any restriction in our
library.  We also check out journal issues to faculty and some research
staff, generally for 24 hours-- we have generic dummy item records with
barcodes for checking out journals, we enter the specifics to the record
at check-out, and attach the bar code to the issue temporarily.  (The
bar code is either on a manila envelope, into which we place the
periodical, or a book mark that is attached to the issue).  We do not
advertise our policy of checking out periodicals, although it is
commonly known among faculty and certain research units that are heavy
users.

8. It is important to have a copy machine with attached copyright
warning adjacent to the periodicals section.  If it is possible to enter
departmental copy codes into this copier (i.e. the english dept. copy
code, etc.)for billing, it will eliminate much of the need for check
out.

Patricia Pettijohn
Head, Collection & Technical Services
Nelson Poynter Memorial Library
University of South Florida St. Petersburg
140 7th Ave. South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
727-553-4407
ppettijohn@nelson.usf.edu

" I see skies of blue and clouds of white
The bright blessed day,
the dark sacred night
And I think to myself: what a wonderful world. "

Louis Armstrong