Re: questions regarding open current periodical stacks Linda Cox 03 May 2007 19:33 UTC

Mark,

We house our current issues in the serials stacks with the bound
volumes.

We are a smallish library and subscribe to 1200 titles.  We bind many
titles, but get some on microfilm too.  For popular titles, we have a
retention period of one or 2 years.  They stay on the shelves until the
period is up, then we pitch them.

We have a few very popular titles, such as U. S. News, National
Geographic, and Readers Digest, that we keep in a special display
area--latest issue only.  Others go directly to the stacks.

We do restrict use to our very large department.  If patrons want to
take our materials somewhere else in the building, we hold their IDs
until the materials are returned.

We security strip all issues.

Linda Newman Cox, M.L.I.S., M.A., Associate Prof.
Head Librarian, Serials & Media Div. and Interlibrary Loan
Northwestern State Univ Libraries
Natchitoches, LA  71497
phone 318.357.4419    fax 318.357.4470
                 cox@nsula.edu