Re: questions regarding open current periodical stacks Pennington, Buddy D. 03 May 2007 20:29 UTC

Are are my answers:

1. Do you keep your current periodicals in a separate place from your
bound periodicals? All current periodicals together? Or do you shelve
them mixed in with the bound volumes? - They are shelved with the bound
volumes.

2. Approximately how many subscriptions to print journals and magazines
do you have? - Approximately 3,500 titles.

3. Do you eventually bind most of them or toos them? - We bind the vast
majority of our titles.

4. How do you shelve/display the current issues before they've been
bound?
(We currently are using hanging folders for the closed stacks. I don't
think they will work well in open stacks.) - We put the unbound issues
in magazine boxes.

5. Do you restrict the use of the current periodicals to a floor or
room?
Or can they be taken anywhere in the library? - We do not provide
inhouse restrictions.  The unbound issues do not checkout at our main
library but do check out at our dental and health sciences library.

6. Do you security strip all issues, most issues, random issues,
weighted towards titles that more often disappear? - We only security
strip a select few titles.  Those with a history of disappearing (art
magazines, Sports illustrated, etc.).

One thing I would like to add is that the attrition rate is much lower
than you might think.  In fact, most of our incomplete volumes are due
to not being able to get claimed issues.  For us, the number of issues
that go missing is probably small enough to be statistically
insignificant.

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
University of Missouri - Kansas City
University Libraries
www.umkc.edu/lib

We have always had closed current periodical stacks and are planning to
move to open stacks. I would like to get some idea of how other academic
libraries arrange their current periodicals in open stacks. This
listserv
seems the ideal way to gather that info from many libraries.

[...]

Thank you for your replies.

Mark Hemhauser
American University Library--Serials & E-Resources
Washington, DC  20016