Re: electronic journal question Dan Lester 19 Jun 2007 19:32 UTC

  From: "Beth Vernaci" <BVernaci@AFSCME.ORG>

  >We are getting ready to switch to a web based catalog. I was wondering
  >if any of the libraries that currently subscribe to (and offer wide
  >access to) electronic journals have individual subscriptions or
  >institutional subscriptions. I have noticed that many of you are
  >advocating for IP authentication. Does that restrict use to certain
  >computers or are you still able to access the journals building wide?

You most likely have a block of ip numbers for your organization.  If so, all in that block can access.  Your IT people can tell you about that.  You may use DHCP addressing, which means that a given PC doesn't have the same IP address all the time anyway.  They can help with that, too.

  >Does that differ by vendor? Does anyone have recommendations for
  >password use and storage? I know password use is a current topic that
  >has been going around, I would like to hear from people who have used

Don't use and store passwords.  They are evil.  They will lead you down the road to a hot place you don't want to go to.

  >some sort of outside program such as ezproxy or Athens. Are you happy
  >with it, is it worth the cost, would you change anything about it, etc.?

EZProxy is simple to use, and can probably run on the same server your web catalog is on.  It is inexpensive, and support is great.  It is definitely worth the cost.

Just say no to passwords.  Tell them all you won't do it that way.  Yes, there may have to be an occasional exception to the rule of no passwords, but fight against them.  Really.

dan

It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you;
  it's what you leave behind you when you go.

dan@riverofdata.com
Dan Lester, Boise, Idaho, USA