Another Trojan Horse: American Physiological Society (APS) Stevan Harnad 03 Jul 2007 11:33 UTC

    Pertinent Prior AmSci Postings:

    "Open Choice is a Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandates"
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/5443.html

    "Trojan Horse from American Chemical Society: Caveat Emptor"
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/6225.html
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/213-guid.html

    "Critique of APS Critique of NIH Proposal"
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4197.html

In contrast to my recent posting expressing admiration for my former
publisher, Cambridge University Press, which has been solidly Green
(i.e., endorses immediate OA self-archiving by its authors) and *as an
additional option* offers authors Gold OA for a fee:

    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/5556.html
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/6526.html

the American Physiological Society is solidly Gray (attempting to forbid
Green OA self-archiving by authors) and now offers fee-based OA as the
author's sole option (see their press release below).

    http://romeo.eprints.org/publishers.html
    http://romeo.eprints.org/publishers/11.html

This offer is -- as has been many times described and explained -- a
Trojan Horse, as unworthy of serious consideration by authors (who don't
have the $2000 in spare change to waste on this surcharge in exchange
for OA) as it was when the same sole option was offered by the (likewise
Gray, and equally cynical and self-serving) American Chemical Society.

For an online-era policy that is fully in line with a Learned Society's
true raison d'etre -- to serve research, and not vice-versa -- see the
*other* APS: the American Physical Society:

    http://romeo.eprints.org/publishers/10.html

    "Evolving APS Copyright Policy (American Physical Society)"
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0472.html
    http://users.ecs.soton.ac.uk/harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2351.html

Stevan Harnad