Re: Digitization requests from newspaper publishers Howlett, Lee Ann 04 Jul 2007 02:11 UTC

Our library also participated in a
digitization project like Adelaide
described for journal backfiles.
We will have access to these files
in perpetuity but other libraries
and their patrons will not be so
fortunate.  This does
present a bit of a quandary.

Lee Ann

__________________________________
Lee Ann Howlett
Head, Serials Dept.
Shimberg Health Sciences Library
University of South Florida
12901 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., MDC 31
Tampa, FL  33612
(813) 974-9080
(813) 974-7032 (fax)
email: LHOWLETT@HEALTH.USF.EDU

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of Adelaide Fletcher
Sent: Tue 7/3/2007 4:58 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Digitization requests from newspaper publishers

These are good points, and to participate with these efforts is to aid
and abet the publishers because they will offer access to the archives
at a charge to other libraries.

That said, in our case at least, nothing will change for my library's
patrons except it will be easier for them to access this material than
before. The same patrons that were able to walk in and use the paper
volumes will be able to walk in, sit down at one of our public access
terminals and view the electronic volumes.