Re: Are Journals in JSTOR Current Serials? Laura Davis 23 Aug 2007 22:26 UTC

Wow, I must say this has opened my eyes.  For the record, we have been
interpreting "current" as meaning literally current access, that is, no
delay period or embargo, and no "back issues only" or ceased titles.  We
looked at this as we would look at a question about our print collection:
would we call a cancelled or ceased title "current?"  We would not.  I do
see your point about how we are now sometimes paying for ceased or
cancelled content in the electronic format.  It's a debatable issue.  But
this brings me around to a bigger point.
I, too, have been struggling over the years with ARL and AAHSL statistics.
The questions change from year to year, and the examples or explanations
are vague or absent.
Last time, I was in contact with AAHSL's James Shedlock, who answered some
of my questions about their intent.  Perhaps this is what informed my
interpretation of ARL, which may not be valid.  But all this discussion
shows that there are questions out there, not just from me! :-)
I agree that we cannot currently compare institution to institution, but
isn't that the intent of ARL and AAHSL statistics?  Otherwise, why do we
bother submitting statistics to any central source?  If they are only
meaningful to us, they are internal statistics by definition.  Makes me
wonder why we are knocking ourselves out to produce these inscrutable
numbers.
I am going to forward part of this discussion to James Shedlock so that he
is aware of the wide variety of questions, concerns, and disillusion these
statistics seem to be creating.  Does anyone have a contact at ARL to do
the same?  I hope these organizations can explicitly clarify what they are
asking so that some day we can compare institution to institution.
In the meantime, we muddle along.
--Laura Davis
   University of Washington
   Health Sciences Library