Re: Electronic Serials - Title change Regina Reynolds 24 Aug 2007 11:14 UTC

Staff and myself at the National Serials Data Program (the U.S. ISSN
center) are trying to educate publishers and those providers we work
with about the problem of access to former titles.  It's something of an
uphill battle, I agree.  Pointing out that separate ISSN have been
assigned (or will be assigned) to the former titles, and citations to
articles published under the former titles are under the former titles has
helped some publishers understand the problem and list former titles and
ISSN separately. Just this week we have been communicating about this
problem to a major society publisher.

I could envision an ALA committee developing a "best practices" document
to disseminate to publishers and other providers.  Perhaps there are other
mechanisms that could be used to demonstrate in a unified and consistent
manner how libraries would like former titles to be handled.

Regina Reynolds
Head, National Serials Data Program

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007, Cynthia Koman wrote:

> Please excuse cross-postings.
>
> *-----------------------------------------------------------
>
> Hello,
>
> I am wondering if anyone else is has noticed that the electronic version of title changes are not listed separately on publisher's websites?  I have noticed on several publisher's websites (Blackwell, Springer, etc.) that title changes show up under the most recent title of that serial, so that the previous title is buried and is not listed separately.  Does anyone know why the titles are being clumped together and not being listed separately?  This is becoming an increasing issue because as we link to our e-journal collection from our e-journal list.
>
> If you have noticed this - how are you handling it?
>
> Any information anyone can provide would be helpful.
>
> Thanks,
> Cindy
>
> Cynthia L. Koman
> Serials Librarian
> Schaffer Library of Health Sciences
> Albany Medical College
> email:  komanc@mail.amc.edu
> phone:  518-262-6058

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain
> confidential information that is protected by law and is for the
> sole use of the individuals or entities to which it is addressed.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
> replying to this email and destroying all copies of the
> communication and attachments. Further use, disclosure, copying,
> distribution of, or reliance upon the contents of this email and
> attachments is strictly prohibited. To contact Albany Medical
> Center, or for a copy of our privacy practices, please visit us on
> the Internet at www.amc.edu.

Regina 	R. Reynolds                     email: rrey@loc.gov
Head, National Serials Data Program     voice: (202) 707-6379
Library of Congress                     fax    (202) 707-6333
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.           ISSN Web page: lcweb.loc.gov/issn/
Washington, D.C. 20540-4160