Re: Electronic Serials - Title change Ed Jones 04 Sep 2007 18:10 UTC

One possible workaround would be something similar to OCLC's xISBN
service (which searches for a given book in a given catalog under all
the ISBNs under which it is known to have appeared.  Something similar
for ISSNs--to be used in conjunction with open URL resolvers--might help
minimize the number of "false negatives".  The main draw3back is that it
requires an organization to host the service and identify the related
ISSNs (though the latter could presumably be done by machine operating
off the ISSN database).

My problem with the educate-the-publishers approach is that it requires
near-universal voluntary cooperation by publishers, both large and
small, which seems to me an overly ambitious and ever-receding goal.

Ed Jones
National University (San Diego)

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Rentz, Paivi H
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 4:34 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Electronic Serials - Title change

I have always liked the way Elsevier lists and links to the former and
subsequent titles

American Journal of Orthodontics
Copyright (c) 2007 The American Association of Orthodontists. All rights
reserved
Shortcut URL to this page:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00029416
<http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/00029416>

Formerly known as American Journal of Orthodontics and Oral Surgery
<https://synergy.txstate.edu/science/journal/00966347> ;
Continued as American Journal of Orthodontics and Dentofacial
Orthopedics <https://synergy.txstate.edu/science/journal/08895406>

Paivi Rentz
Electronic Resource Librarian
Texas State University - San Marcos