Re: paper to electronic (package) Julie Moore 04 Oct 2007 15:05 UTC

Dear Serial Catalogers,

Thank you for your many, many ideas!  I can see that there are many
solutions to this problem.

The one piece of info that I did not realize is that SciFinder Scholar is
only available on one computer in our library (that is loaded with the
client software) and only one user at a time is able to access it. Sigh.

What I have done so far is to create an 856 in the paper record that
redirects them to the url that is part of the ERM which explains each of the
packages. This url takes them directly to the explanation of SciFinder
Scholar.

We have asked reference if this meets their needs. The only thing that I
fear here is that the student will click on the URL (which is quite
prominent in III) go to the SciFinder abstract and wonder why they are not
actually in Chemical Abstracts. So I won't be surprised if people are not
happy with this solution.

Here's a portion of the note from the ERM abstract of SciFinder Scholar:

SciFinder Scholar replaces the Library's subscription to Chemical
Abstracts.Off-campus access is not available. SciFinder Scholar can only be
used on a computer loaded with the client software. Access limited to one
user at a time. Available in the Library on specific computers; ask at the
Reference Desk to be directed to the proper computers.

It might be that the reference folks are thrilled with this solution. If so,
then my problem is solved. But in anticipation of it not being accepted, do
you have any other ideas?

I was thinking about making some sort of local note, but these electronic
packages have a habit of appearing and disappearing. Perhaps a local note
might be in order, though.

Apologies for not having all of the facts in my first email.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Best wishes,

Julie Moore

Fresno State

P.S. The people on this list are *awesome*!!!!