Re: Paper and electronic journals Mitch Turitz 05 Oct 2007 21:16 UTC

Hella,

Our public services librarians are against any URL that does not
bring our patrons to full-text.  Not even tables of contents.  We
have one tech services person who makes sure the URL is correct (as
they all have to be customized to go through a proxy).  He also makes
sure that we are only adding URLs for full-text access using IP
addressing and not through password/IDs. We have 30,000 students here
and can't change passwords every time someone leaves the university
to make sure access is limited to people currently enrolled.
Imbedding passwords into the URL is possible, but insecure as all one
has to do is place the cursor over the link to see the part of the
URL which contains the password. Individual accounts for every user
for every title is unmanageable at best.  The university librarian
signs the individual agreement with each vendor.

We do not add URLs which lead to the publisher's website, unless that
link is also to the full-text.

Since you have to verify that the URLs are correct and functioning
anyway, why go to the extra work if the link is not to full-text?
That is all our patrons care about.

-- Mitch Turitz, San Francisco (CA) State University

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 4 Oct 2007 11:00:40 -0700
From:    "Bluhm-Stieber, Hella" <Hella.Bluhm-Stieber@HHS.CO.SANTA-CLARA.CA.US>
Subject: Paper and electronic journals

<snip>

We just started cataloging our journals (since we finally got an automated
ILS system) after importing the basic records from SERHOLD. I have been
adding URLs if available no matter if we have full-text access to this
journal or not, since publishers change they access rules all the time. The
problem is that this makes it difficult to know which journals we have
full-text access to and for which journals this is only a link to the
publisher website.

Should I indicate in the 856 z field if the library has full-text access or
not?
How do you differentiate between IP and single-user login access? Do you add
a note?

I am looking forward to you suggestions.
Hella

Hella Bluhm-Stieber, MLIS, AHIP
Medical Librarian
--

-Tom Galante, at the "Transforming Your Staff" session during
ALA annual, June 2007, Washington, D.C.