Re: Appreciating student assistants Carol Thunem 13 Nov 2007 17:47 UTC

The Carleton College library employs 80+ students in all departments and found quite a disparity in the way each department recognized their student employees.  To simplify the recognition, but yet let students know how much we need and appreciate their contributions, we now have a Senior Recognition program.  Seniors who have worked in the library select an unplated book from our collection which is plated with their name (in recognition of their years of service) and displayed in a prominent library exhibit during May and June with a picture, brief bio, reason for their book selection, and comments about their library service experience.  We also hold a public reception (catered - lemonade and cookies) for these students about 2-3 weeks before graduation.  The students look forward to this book selection and appreciate the more "permanent" recognition.

Carol Thunem
Periodicals Assistant
Carleton College Library
1 N. College St.
Northfield, MN  55057
507-646-5551
cthunem@carleton.edu

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeanette Skwor" <skworj@UWGB.EDU>
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 3:31:54 PM (GMT-0600) America/Chicago
Subject: [SERIALST] Appreciating student assistants

Not necessarily serials, but I'd like some input - Cofrin Library has hosted, for years, a party in December for our student workers.  It used to be called a Christmas party, then a Holiday party, now we refer to it as an appreciation party.  Years ago, professional and classified staff made and brought in a full, hot meal replete with goodies.  That metamorphisized into less fuss - desserts, or a cold meal, or we have a committee that makes a few things (sloppy joes, maybe a salad) and we buy chips etc; everyone else brings desserts.  The past couple of years the staff has brought cookies, and in addition to serving them, we give the students baggies and give them each a bag to take home.  And actually, now we do it twice a year - at the end of each semester.

It's difficult to find the time and the volunteers to do it, and we're looking for input from other libraries.  What, if anything, do you do for your student workers?  And who does it, and where does the money come from?

Thanks in advance for all responses -

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI  54311-7003

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries."
                              Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog