Re: Appreciating student assistants Bolton, Karen S. 13 Nov 2007 18:42 UTC

We post the student birthdays and generally buy a card and a small treat
(a dozen cookies or so) for the student's birthdays. We only have nine
students, so it is not too hard to do. We use fine $ for this.  We do an
appreciation party in December of each year, with finger foods and
holiday-style goodies, which each staff member contributes to, either
homemade or purchased. The students like this.

Karen Bolton
Serials Librarian
bolton@msoe.edu

Milwaukee School of Engineering
Walter Schroeder Library
1025 N. Broadway
Milwaukee, WI
53202-3109

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Skwor, Jeanette
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 3:32 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] Appreciating student assistants

Not necessarily serials, but I'd like some input - Cofrin Library has
hosted, for years, a party in December for our student workers.  It used
to be called a Christmas party, then a Holiday party, now we refer to it
as an appreciation party.  Years ago, professional and classified staff
made and brought in a full, hot meal replete with goodies.  That
metamorphisized into less fuss - desserts, or a cold meal, or we have a
committee that makes a few things (sloppy joes, maybe a salad) and we
buy chips etc; everyone else brings desserts.  The past couple of years
the staff has brought cookies, and in addition to serving them, we give
the students baggies and give them each a bag to take home.  And
actually, now we do it twice a year - at the end of each semester.

It's difficult to find the time and the volunteers to do it, and we're
looking for input from other libraries.  What, if anything, do you do
for your student workers?  And who does it, and where does the money
come from?

Thanks in advance for all responses -

Jeanette L. Skwor
Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
University of WI-Green Bay
2420 Nicolet Drive
Green Bay, WI  54311-7003

"Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will
get you through times of no libraries."
                              Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog