Re: Handling of Sample Issues Pennington, Buddy D. 15 Nov 2007 15:27 UTC

When I started at UMKC, we had shelves and shelves of sample issues.  I
took a look at them and when I found single issues from the 1980s I
decided to weed the whole bunch.  Just about everything went into the
recycle pile.

Now, we use our "samples" collection only as a means to identify
potential gift subscriptions, title changes, or new titles that are
included with another subscription.

When the checkin assistant can't find a title it goes on a shelf.  Once
a week, I grab those and either create a "discard" checkin record (if
the title does not look like it has much potential" or a "samples"
checkin record.  We use Innovative and have templates set up so creating
one of these records takes all of 30 seconds.  That way the checkin
assistant then knows what to do with the next issue that arrives, if
there is one. NOTE: we do not check any actual issues in.  The checkins
are basically blank records with a note that says to either stick the
issue in samples or on the recycle pile.

Once per year, we scan the samples shelf to see what can be tossed
(single issues, etc.).  When we get enough issues of a title that we
feel comfortable that it is something we will continue to get, I then
take it to the subject selector to determine if it is a title worth
adding or if the samples checkin for that title needs to become a
discard checking.

Buddy Pennington
Serial Acquisitions Librarian
University of Missouri - Kansas City