Re: Handling of Sample Issues Patricia Pettijohn 15 Nov 2007 22:47 UTC

Thanks Zac, I really find unsolicited issues to be one of the many minor aggravations of Library Land.  Like other libraries, we create bibliographic records, then suppress the record from public view, all so we can then note "DISCARD."   For the most part, you are absolutely right-- periodicals represent a long-term commitment to a discipline or program, and I field enough requests for new periodicals from faculty, where I have to explain why we cannot afford to add new titles without finding new money or cancelling another title in their discipline.  If it is an important journal, demand by faculty and/or library liaisons will bring it to our attention; also, in my experience if the library received a sample copy, then so did the department and faculty concerned, sort of like multiple issues of catalogs, unsolicited journals asexually reproduce in the mailroom.

However, I'm a *librarian* so we do indeed have a process, and it does involve creating records, and sending copies to liaisons, etc.  But I'd prefer to go directly to recycling.....

I forwarded this thread to my library assistant in charge of handling unsolicited journals because I suspect she has always thought that only our library was crazy enough to go through this process, simply because someone we don't know sent us something we didn't ask for.

Patricia Pettijohn
Head, Collection & Technical Services
Nelson Poynter Memorial Library
University of South Florida St. Petersburg
140 7th Ave. South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
727-553-4407
ppettijohn@nelson.usf.edu

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the media.
The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public libraries.
~ Kurt Vonnegut August 11, 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Zac Rolnik
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:59 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Handling of Sample Issues

This may seem like sacrilege to the publishers on this list, but I am
actually surprised that publishers send out unsolicited sample copies.  In
my more than 20 years of publishing, I have never sent an unsolicited sample
copy to a library. I have always been under the impression that if a library
were interested, or if a faculty member or student recommended a journal,
they would request a sample copy from the publisher or subscribe if there
were sufficient demand and budget.

Further to Bill's question, I do provide librarians with links to a free
"electronic" sample copy if requested or if I think there may be some
interest but not in any wholesale manner.  As a matter of fact, we no longer
send out print sample copies unless the print is explicitly requested.  If I
have been too modest in my distribution of unsolicited sample copies, please
let me know.

Thanks.

Zac

Zac Rolnik