Re: Handling of Sample Issues Sarah D. Tusa 15 Nov 2007 22:55 UTC

Bravo!

Sarah Tusa
Lamar University

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum [mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Zac Rolnik
Sent: Thursday, November 15, 2007 2:59 PM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Handling of Sample Issues

This may seem like sacrilege to the publishers on this list, but I am
actually surprised that publishers send out unsolicited sample copies.  In
my more than 20 years of publishing, I have never sent an unsolicited sample
copy to a library. I have always been under the impression that if a library
were interested, or if a faculty member or student recommended a journal,
they would request a sample copy from the publisher or subscribe if there
were sufficient demand and budget.

Further to Bill's question, I do provide librarians with links to a free
"electronic" sample copy if requested or if I think there may be some
interest but not in any wholesale manner.  As a matter of fact, we no longer
send out print sample copies unless the print is explicitly requested.  If I
have been too modest in my distribution of unsolicited sample copies, please
let me know.

Thanks.

Zac

Zac Rolnik