Re: Link resolvers: better to link by ISSN or Title? Regina Reynolds 24 Nov 2007 19:19 UTC

Lucy--

Help is on the way for the problems you have encountered in linking by
ISSN.  The international ISSN standard, ISO 3297, has recently been
revised to address this situation, as well as make other changes to allow
the ISSN to function better in the electronic environment.  One feature of
the new standard is the "linking ISSN" (ISSN-L).  A linking ISSN will be
designated in the ISSN Register along with a medium-specific ISSN (as is
now assigned).  The linking ISSN will be recommended for use in link
resolver systems since the same linking ISSN will pertain to all the
medium versions of a continuing resource.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about the new
standard.

Regina Romano Reynolds
Head, National Serials Data Program (U.S. ISSN center)
Library of Congress
rrey@loc.gov

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, Lucy Wrightington wrote:

> Are there opinions out there about linking to fulltext through the ISSN or
> the Title field?
> Our own past experience with ISSN linking has shown sometimes the e-ISSN is
> used, other times the p-ISSN,
> and matches can be missed.
> But matching by title must have its own problems.
> Would welcome any ideas.
> Thanks,
>
> Lucy Wrightington, Senior Librarian
> Dickerman Library
> Wadsworth Center, N.Y. State Dept. of Health
> Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12201
>
> phone: (518) 474-6168
> fax:        (518) 474-3933
>

> IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It is intended only for the addressee.  If you received this in error or from someone who was not authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or any attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

Regina 	R. Reynolds                     email: rrey@loc.gov
Head, National Serials Data Program     voice: (202) 707-6379
Library of Congress                     fax    (202) 707-6333
101 Independence Avenue, S.E.           ISSN Web page: lcweb.loc.gov/issn/
Washington, D.C. 20540-4160