Re: aggressive vendor Jennifer Marcantel 03 Nov 2007 16:52 UTC

What a horrible company!! I hope your boss did not take this seriously....I wouldn't have anything to do with them, either. They do not sound very professional to me!!!!!

Jennifer Marcantel
Serials Acquisitions Librarian
Lamar University
Mary and John Gray Library
P.O. Box 10021
Beaumont, Tx.   77710
(409) 880-8126

________________________________

From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum on behalf of Andree Rathemacher
Sent: Fri 11/2/2007 10:14 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: [SERIALST] aggressive vendor

Dear business librarians and electronic resources librarians:

Has anyone had any experience with this vendor?

They have been calling and "insisting" that I evaluate their business
information database. I've never heard of them, and from their web site,
http://www.centium.net/about_us.html, it seems like they have only two
employees, and there is no evidence of any business information product on
offer.

Here at the University of Rhode Island, we have just cut $200,000 worth of
serials, and we are still looking at a $300,000 budget deficit and the
possibility of cutting reference databases. We have a list of business
databases from established companies like ProQuest, Hoovers, ValueLine, and
Standard and Poor's that our business faculty and students want but which we
cannot afford.

In any case, this (see below) is what happens when you tell them you are not
interested. Beware!

Just another company trying to feed at the trough of public university
funds, I guess.

andree

--
Andree Rathemacher