Re: electronic only journal packages Hamaker, Charles 06 Nov 2007 13:39 UTC

For us, vendors tracking contents of "packages" on our behalf is
critical to maintaining control for both pricing and bibliographic
continuity. So many publishers are trying to do one line invoices right
now that we need vendors to help us maintain accounting controls on such
lists.

As many of the packages are dependent for pricing on "subscription"
based data, tracking the journals moving in and out of a publisher's
list can be  critical. In our experience vendor services are basic to
maintaining such information.  It also means for example, that if a
title moves out of all "package" deals we can maintain the subscription
no matter where the title ends up.

We use several consortia, including the Carolina Consortium (North and
South Carolina) ASERL etc. and have had no problem in maintaining vendor
services through most of the deals we have though there are a few that
are publisher direct.

It's interesting to see how different libraries tackle these issues.

Thanks

Chuck Hamaker
Associate University Librarian Collections and Technical Services
Atkins Library
University of North Carolina Charlotte
Charlotte, NC 28223
phone 704 687-2825