Re: Serials check in? Patricia Pettijohn 09 Nov 2007 17:09 UTC

"And if it doesn't have an electronic version, it's obviously an
inferior journal which nobody reads, so it still doesn't matter."

That may be generally true of STM journals, but is certainly not true of
the humanities and various areas in the social sciences. Africana
studies, Latin American studies, areas in the fine arts, small poetry
magazines, and even within the area of healthcare, significant smaller
research publications in some areas of behavioral healthcare are still
distributed in print. Some of the smaller learned societies, their
associates and affiliates, for example, may not seem important to us,
but when you have a tenured faculty member requesting the title, you may
very well need to check it in and claim it. For research libraries
specializing in some of these disciplines, they are more likely to be
lenders than receivers of ILL with rarely held titles, resulting in slow
ILL delivery if they drop their print subscription.

But we are all looking forward to the day.......

Patricia Pettijohn
Head, Collection & Technical Services
Nelson Poynter Memorial Library
University of South Florida St. Petersburg
140 7th Ave. South
St. Petersburg, FL 33701
727-553-4407
ppettijohn@nelson.usf.edu

So the America I loved still exists, if not in the White House or the
Supreme Court or the Senate or the House of Representatives or the
media.
The America I love still exists at the front desks of our public
libraries.
~ Kurt Vonnegut August 11, 2004