Re: Serials check in? Barbara Pope 09 Nov 2007 20:34 UTC

I do not know anything specific about your library, but at my library,
and others I have worked at, we receive far to many subscriptions to
just be able to remember whether or not we have received an issue.  We
check issues in for a number of reasons:  1) we know what issues of what
titles we have received, 2) where they are located, and 3) what their
status is (on shelf, bindery, repair, on shelving cart, etc.).  Unless
you only receive a small number of titles, how will you know if you
received it or not unless it is checked in?  Another important issue is
whether you check your journals out.  If you check them out to patrons,
but don't have them checked into your system, how will you know for sure
who has them and when they were checked out?

Barbara Pope
Axe Library
Pittsburg State University
Pittsburg KS  66762