Re: Appreciating student assistants Connie Foster 13 Nov 2007 17:29 UTC

I don't know if they value these things but I keep a list of birthdays
in the dept., including students, on a bulletin board so everyone can
acknowledge birthdays. When we have graduating senior student
assistants, we let them pick out a book which we have or order and place
a bookplate in their honor. We also do the holiday party. (I like your
idea of bagged cookies) and it is funded by passing around an envelope
$5 per person to buy meat, bread, condiments, etc. and we all bring
other stuff. The students enjoy this.
Connie Foster

Skwor, Jeanette wrote:
> Not necessarily serials, but I'd like some input - Cofrin Library has hosted, for years, a party in December for our student workers.  It used to be called a Christmas party, then a Holiday party, now we refer to it as an appreciation party.  Years ago, professional and classified staff made and brought in a full, hot meal replete with goodies.  That metamorphisized into less fuss - desserts, or a cold meal, or we have a committee that makes a few things (sloppy joes, maybe a salad) and we buy chips etc; everyone else brings desserts.  The past couple of years the staff has brought cookies, and in addition to serving them, we give the students baggies and give them each a bag to take home.  And actually, now we do it twice a year - at the end of each semester.
>
> It's difficult to find the time and the volunteers to do it, and we're looking for input from other libraries.  What, if anything, do you do for your student workers?  And who does it, and where does the money come from?
>
> Thanks in advance for all responses -
>
> Jeanette L. Skwor
> Serials Dept., Cofrin Library
> University of WI-Green Bay
> 2420 Nicolet Drive
> Green Bay, WI  54311-7003
>
> "Libraries will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no libraries."
>                               Anne Herbert, The Whole Earth Catalog

Connie Foster, Professor and Head, Dept. of Library Technical Services
Western Kentucky University Libraries
Editor, Serials Review
1906 College Heights Blvd. #11067
Bowling Green KY 42101-1067