Re: Title change question Barbara Pope 04 Dec 2007 14:27 UTC

My predecessor chose to shelve both titles together, which sounds good
on the surface.  The only problem is, what do you do when it changes
again?  As far as I have been able to tell, this results in a collection
that is not very organized, because for example, Title A and Title A2
are shelved together.  If a student worker doing shelving is unaware of
the reasoning behind this and shelves something else in between, you may
eventually lose track of where the titles are supposed to be or why the
two titles are shelved together in the first place.  Unless each volume
is individually labeled "shelved with" or something of the sort, it may
get shelved where it alphabetically goes instead of with the earlier
journal title.  I am doing a retrospective check-in project of microfilm
right now, and this gets really interesting with microfilm, when the
title changes right in the middle of the roll.  I have had to make up
different microfilm box labels for this situation and make sure I
include a note in the copy record.

Just my $.02.

Thank you.

Sincerely,