Re: Disposal of Abstracts and Indexes Wilma Dague 30 Jan 2008 21:18 UTC

We've discontinued print copies of Sociological Abstracts as of 2008.

Wilma Dague
Serials  Coordinator
Benedictine College Library
1020 North 2nd St.
Atchison, KS 66002
(913 360-7610
wdague@benedictine.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: SERIALST: Serials in Libraries Discussion Forum
[mailto:SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU] On Behalf Of Leslie O'Brien
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 11:06 AM
To: SERIALST@LIST.UVM.EDU
Subject: Re: [SERIALST] Disposal of Abstracts and Indexes

At Virginia Tech, we are not letting go of the print indexes and
abstracts.  We're having to deal with these materials now because of
planned remodeling of our reference desk and public service
points.  Print indexes/abstracts comprise the bulk of the reference
collections.  The reference librarians and selectors decided to move
any index/abstract that was fully replicated online to our remote
storage facility.  We've kept a few printed indexes for the Ref Room
or stacks, if the selectors weren't confident about online
coverage.   We've also transferred some retrospective journal
holdings that are in JSTOR to remote storage, but we haven't yet
taken the plunge to discard or withdraw anything.

Leslie O'Brien
Director of Technical Services
Virginia Tech