Re: Museum news Steven C Shadle 11 Jan 2008 19:36 UTC

Lucy -- There is a lot more to this determination (AACR2 21.2C2) then just the rule you've cited.  Specifically,

b)   Minor changes. In general, consider the following to be a minor change in a title proper of a serial:

ix)   the addition, deletion, or rearrangement anywhere in the title of words that indicate the type of resource such as “magazine,” “journal,” or “newsletter” or their equivalent in other languages.

The question is whether 'news' indicates the type of resource in the same way as magazine, journal or newsletter does?  Within conser <http://www.loc.gov/catdir/cpso/conserdoc.pdf>, we have a general guideline that in english, one has to be able to use an indefinite article with the word in question to consider it a 'type of resource' word.  So a magazine, a journal, a newsletter, but not 'a news' or 'a research'.

So I would consider this to be a major change and create a successive record.  --Steve

Steve Shadle/Serials Access Librarian  *****  shadle@u.washington.edu
University of Washington Libraries      ***     Phone: (206) 685-3983
Seattle, WA 98195-2900                   *        Fax: (206) 543-0854